A notice asking if you want only necessary cookies or all cookies, including ones that profile you, is like a maître d’ asking you “would you like to dine with us or would you like to dine with us and have your organs harvested?” What about my entering your restaurant prompted you to think I’d ever want the latter?
I don't see the implementation of the law as the issue (although it could have probably gone a lot further), but really all thos dark-pattern cooky banners are simply a passive-aggressive way of companies to respond to the law.
"oh, you want the ability to choose? Right, here's five pages of options, have fun choosing (or just say yes to everything). Wanna know what we do with the harvested data? Here's 10 pages of ambiguous legalese, hope that makes you happy, punk!"
@Mr_Teatime @aral my point was that if you could make a meaningful decision once that you had spent time thinking about, when you set your tracking policy in the browser, and if the law had made it mandatory for companies to respect the policy you had set, then we could have had better privacy rights without the passive aggressive cookie queries you are talking about.
Yes, makes sense.
I think I misread part of your toot. Sorry about that.
I'm hearing too many complaints about "making those annoying cookie banners mandatory", when 90% of the annoyance is the choice of the companies who make them. Like they could present the same choices in a straightworward manner if they wanted to. The remaining 10 percent is mostly due to companies choosing to track users without technical necessity.
Biggest fault of GDPR is it came too late.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!