I've deleted #signal (account & app) from my #android phone today. Reasons for that being:
1. It uses server infrastructure from #gafamhttps://www.kuketz-blog.de/signal-jegliche-kommunikation-erfolgt-ueber-tech-giganten-wie-amazon-microsoft-google-und-cloudflare/
2. It's not #decentralized. Meaning if government (or whoever else) decides to cut signals connection to e. g. AWS servers, most likely no messages can be sent or received then.
3. It's based in the USA and therefore falls under "Five Eyes".
4. It's not fully #foss and therefore not available in #fdroid. (Though you can download the apk in a webbrowser)
5. You can't use it without a phone number.
For now I'm using #Messengers based on the #XMPP or #Matrix Protocol to communicate with #friends and #family. And the rest can call me or write an #SMS, #email or even an handwritten #letter
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!