You use open / libre / free software products and even install a #pihole and #nextcloud. You hope that you minimize data transfer to #surveillancecapitalism companies like #google #amazon #cloudflare #microsoft. You hope for more #privacy. Then you check the forums, block-URLs etc. of that products. Results: Disappointing.
- pihole has default block lists hosted by amazon ( ...s3.amazonaws.com/...simple_tracking.txt) and microsoft (...githubusercontent.com)
- cloudflare (https://v.firebog.net/hosts/lists.php?type=nocross), list recommend by #kuketzblog, #nooffense
- Forums /websites use the above mentioned providers:
- cloudflare (forums.kodi.tv, forum.kde.org, libreelec.tv)
- amazon (DuckDuckGo)
- someone over here in the Fediverse uses Google Drive to upload his LineageOS ROM for the Nexus 4 (mako)
- google analytics / tag manager (forums.opensuse.org, linux-club.de, nginx.org, lineageos.org)
The list continues, this was just a quick check.
@marco So? We fight them with their weapons.
I don't expect any FOSS project to deploy full stack using open-source-only tools. Thanks to those project I can self-host infrastructure that rivals the giants (ok, it doesn't, but it does the job for me).
It's also really annoying how many sites are completely broken if you just block all google services.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!