Google's business model:
- create cool free services
- tout your "don't be evil" motto
- draw in billions of users to your free stuff because there is no downside
- ensure your users are good and locked in by lettting them accumulate nearly unlimited amounts of emails and photos on your servers
- quietly drop "don't be evil" and all the other nice things you had said about user privacy
- profit like crazy off all that data and buy up more data sucking systems (like fitbit)
- Release some tools free of charge
- Market those as better than anything around, even if it is just a rehash of a technology someone did 20 years ago
- Keep finding ways to get people information without they knowing, while still "looking cool" by releasing more tools in the models two points above.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!