I tried some casting! These keycaps haven't turned out perfect - the corners didn't have enough resin, not sure why. But once they're fully cured in a week they'll be cool to try out!
The moulds I've made have turned out really well but I have a long way to go with the casting. I think it would help to change to an epoxy with a mix ratio closer to 1:1, so there's not a really tiny amount of hardener to measure out.
The keycaps should be fully cured now! They feel a little tacky when you put them against a hard surface - not sure if that's just what polyester is like.
The bottom corners weren't quite filled but the caps feel nice! Weirdly they had the texture from the original when I demoulded at 2 days, but lost it during the rest of the cure.
The long cure time and the lingering styrene smell are making me want to switch to epoxy/urethane before I do any more casting.
@gbrnt Lingering styrene smell and tackyness = not fully cured yet.
If you don't _need_ them to be clear, mixing some fibres (glass is typical, but many other kinds can be used) will make them much stronger and not shatter like that.
Epoxy is also much stronger and less tricky to mix correctly.
@yngmar I've got a scale that's slightly smaller with similar precision - I could see that my individual drops of catalyst were about 0.05g, which sounds right. I'm really not sure why that wasn't accurate enough. I also mixed for a good amount of time and scraped the sides well.
Either way I'm looking forward to using some epoxy with a 2:1 ratio or something
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!